Valentine's Day 2009, Part One

This year, I decided on some semi-homemade gifts for co-workers and friends. Inspired by a few of my daily blog habits, I grabbed my apron and my exacto knife and went to work.

Project 1: Apple Pie a la Twig & Thistle

img_4807

I used store-bought pie dough, rolled it out on a floured surface and cut out circles for the little pies using a paring knife...and conveniently, this yogurt container was the perfect size for the pies.

img_4808

To save time, I used canned apple pie filling. Don't put in too much or you won't be able to close the pie!

img_4810

Brush on a little egg wash and seal with a fork. Then brush some more all over the pie and prick to let the steam escape.

img_4819

Make a slew of these adorable pie boxes. It will be handy if you have these tools.

img_4823

My pies did not look nearly as good as hers, but I was happy with the results. I wrapped the pies in wax paper before inserting into the boxes. Next time, I'll cut out the wax paper squares with my rotary cutter's pinking or scallop blade.

Comments