Homemade Oreos and Thin Mints

I saw this picture in a Food Network newsletter and I knew what I'd be doing this weekend!



The recipe was given by Trois Pommes Bakery in New York. It is definitely a keeper!

Here are some of my observations:

It calls for Dutch process cocoa powder, which isn't sold in regular grocery stores, so I headed over to Whole Foods and picked some up for a hefty $8.99. I figured I shouldn't try to substitute regular cocoa powder and mess up the recipe. Wondering what's the big difference? Here's your answer.

It doesn't say "Dutch Process" on the box. It just says imported from Holland. Here's a picture of what it looks like:



It says to only re-reoll the scraps once, but I did it maybe 3 or 4 times to use up all the dough...no big deal. (Especially since I spent $9 on the cocoa powder!!)

It says the recipe yields 64 cookies or 32 when sandwiched together. I got about 100, probably because of all the re-rolling I did.

I used a 2-inch round cookie cutter like the recipe suggested, but I think a smaller bite-sized one would be better.

I used my linzer cookie cutter set (just the heart) to make decorative imprints in the cookies. Since the cookies don't rise, you can take a lot of creative liberty here. You could use rubber stamps (with not too much detail) or even just prick them with the tines of a fork.

It also says to space them 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. This is totally unnecessary since they don't spread. You can just space them 1 centimeter apart!

Here are all the cookies: plain round, imprinted round, and round with fluted edge.



Since Girl Scout cookie season ends on March 29th, I thought this would be a good time to experiment with making Thin Mints. I melted some Andes Mint chips in the microwave and dipped all the ones with a fluted edge.





I sandwiched the rest with the creme filling:



The final product!



They don't really look like the ones in the Food Network picture, but hey, I am really proud of them!!

Comments