Homemade Neopolitan [Coconut] Sundaes

Do you remember those Brach's Pick-A-Mix bulk candy bins that they had at all the grocery stores? They still have them at some grocery stores, but you definitely don't see them as often. You could eat a piece of candy and they had a little slot for nickles.

I absolutely love Brach's Neopolitan Sundae...a chewy square of coconutty goodness!

When I saw this recipe for Neopolitan Coconut Strips on Martha Stewart, it looked so easy, I had to give it a try...

Combine the white chocolate (I used chips instead of chopped), condensed milk, butter, salt and vanilla (I used extract instead of vanilla beans) in a sauce pan and cook, while stirring, until smooth. Make sure the heat isn't too high because you could burn the mixture...you don't want to get little brown burnt flecks in your nice white mixture!



While that's cooking, line a 8X8 square pan with plastic wrap. Once the mixture is smooth, take it off the heat and mix in the two types of coconut.



Divide the mixture by three. Add the chocolate to one batch and food coloring to the other, leaving the third batch plain.

The chocolate batch goes on the bottom. Smooth it out with a rubber spatula:


Then dollop the plain batch on top of that and smooth it out evenly:


Lastly, the pink coconut:


They look kinda gross up-close, huh? It yummy though, trust me.

The mixture is really sticky, so it makes it difficult to spread. If I could do it again, I would cut out 8X8 squares of wax paper to lay on top of the mixture and spread it out with my hands. You'd get more uniform layers.

Here's what it looks like when you're done. Chill it for at least two hours.



After it's nice and chilly, you can grab hold of the plastic wrap and lift the whole thing out. Peel off the plastic and plop it onto the cutting board. Trim off the uneven edges. I like to use the giant cleaver I bought at Hong Kong Food Market. It is awesome. I bet you could use it as a machete...



Cut it however you like. The recipe tells you to cut it into strips, but you can cut it into cubes...



See how the layers are uneven? And do you notice the little air pockets? Try the wax paper thing and I think it would look nicer...





I know you're thinking, "Hey, what's up with all this coconut stuff? Butterscotch bark, toasted coconut flan, Neopolitan coconut candy..." Well, I just like it! I will leave you with this:

"I love coconut, because when you think you're done eating coconut, 25 minutes later, a little piece of coconut comes out of the back of your mouth, and then you say, "Hey! It's more coconut!" I think any food with that kind of determination needs a little respect." - John Mayer

Comments